Friday, February 13, 2009

***SIGH****

JESSICA:

Kyle! I am so glad that you posted that!! Do you think there will ever come a day when people will put aside their weird freakish religious beliefs, live and let live???? I was talking with my mom the other day about African-Americans and the civil rights rights movement. We were discussing the fact they had to fight and fight and fight just to be allowed to drink from the same water fountain or go to the same school as white people. I remember being younger and always thinking "if I lived in the 1950's I wouldn't have cared" as well as "I would have never owned slaves" -despite the fact as a woman I would have not legally owned anything at that time- it never occurred to me until I grew up that the people who fought for the south, their great-grand kids who didn't want to drink from the same fountain weren't mean, but truly truly truly ignorant. Honestly, that thought never occurred to me as a kid, I just thought they were mean people with nothing better to do (which actually may be closer to the truth than just ignorance). Clearly I am of anglo-saxon descent. Sometimes it's easy to say "Oh no not me" because you've never experienced any type of true discrimination based on something you can't change in your life and have no control over. Sometimes, I think gay people have it worse because they have zero rights every other married couple has.

INSERT: I completely agree with you on that Jess.  It's so easy for us to say today that we wouldn't have acted exactly the same way, but really it just reflected the thinking of that time, as sad as it may be.  

So my mother and I were discussing this when *ting* the light goes on and I say "it's like what the gay community is going through now" to which my mom said "exactly." It was an interesting conversation because my mom (yvette) said "It's weird because I watched that progress into what it is today. My mom and dad's generation was the civil rights movement for black people and the civil rights movement didn't affect me-I was to young- so I didn't really care because as far as I can remember black people have had ever right I've had, always. I watched as more and more gay celebrities came out during the 70's and 80's and in the early 90's you could see this shift starting to take place everywhere. Now you're generation is towards the gay community how my generation was towards the African-American community. You're asking yourselves and the people around you "What's the big deal? Relax!"

This conversation gave me hope for my question at the begining of this post: If my grandparent's generation can elect a black President because their kids didn't see color then my generation and our children can't see the difference between a relationship between a man and woman, a man and a man, a woman and a woman. The world needs more and more love. It's not the gays that are causing hatred it's the mean ignorant people who take 6 verses scattered in the Old and New Testament Bible, take it completely out of context, and make a case against love between souls-which is the whole purpose of Christianity, love.

Now a question for you: What would you say to a mother who believes her daughter is making a 'choice' and how would you convey the difficulty of being a gay person in this time of our universe??  

INSERT: More on this in my upcoming post...
--Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment